"But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand." Romans 15:21

Friday, August 6, 2010

A Glimpse of the Silent Petén

Last Friday, I was able to get a glimpse of the Silent Petén! Jimmy had contacted the Principal of the Special Needs School in Poptún to find out if I could come and spend a day with their deaf children. We found out that they were not having school for the rest of the week, because they were competing in the Petén's Special Olympics! She invited us to come and cheer on all the students! Needless to say I was a tad bit excited!!


Jay and Racheal both volunteered to join me on this exciting adventure! We weren't quite sure where all the action was going to take place in San Francisco, so we drove around and did some inquiring. I had hardly stepped out of the truck and I was meeting deaf children left and right!


It turned out that they were lining up for a parade into the town square! The parade was so exciting! There was a dance team and a drum line leading the way through the town!



Each school had two children holding a banner that represented the town they were from.


The whole town came out for this special event! It really warmed my heart! We were able to build relationship with teachers, principals, students, and parents from all over the Petén. I was very thankful to have Jay with me to help with all the translating. Although there were times I would ask him how to say a word, and he would try to sign it back to me! After the 4th or 5th time, I finally busted out laughing, and explained that I wanted to know how to say it in Spanish. It was hilarious!


I don't know if I have explained this, but Guatemala has a different sign-language than the United States. I am fluent in ASl, so that does help a little bit but not much. Last year Juan Carlos, a teacher in Poptún
, gave me a book of LSG signs. During the past year I would pull out the book and try to practice so I knew something when I came back. While we were at the olympics, we met a deaf guy, Alex, who volunteered at the school in Poptún! He taught me so many Guatemalan signs! I learned how to sign "cómo se llama", "mucho gusto", "buenas días", "cuántos años tienes", and so much more!


The girls worked with me on my alphabet and taught me my colors in LSG, as well as many other words! The book I have really started to come to life!


We watched the students in their running events! They had a lot of determination and pride! All three of these girls are from the special needs school in Poptún and are deaf.


Claudia won first place! It was so exciting to watch!


This is Pearlita. Last year when I was here in Guatemala I met her and one other deaf student. I was able to spend several hours with her the last time, so I considered her one of my friends! She remembered me and hung out with me most of the day! Her Grandfather came to watch her compete, and Jay was able to have several conversations with him. He later offered Jay a tamale for lunch! He is very much interested in sign-language and communicating with Pearlita and her deaf friends! I was able to give him a LSG book and encouraged Pearlita to teach her Abuelo some signs!


I had brought several manipulatives and other resources for the teachers at the special needs school. So when there was a little break, I was able to gather all the students around me. We worked on addition and subtraction using number cards and gummy bears! It was such a hit, and the kids did such a good job! I was very impressed with what they already knew.


Te quiero or I love you, how ever you might say it, is obviously a universal sign. Every time I look at this picture I think of a love that is perfect, and greater than any love I could give. My heart is not only to teach these children language, reading, writing, and arithmetic, but more importantly about Jesus! It was so hard to leave knowing that they don't know anything about God, and that I couldn't communicate His love for them. I know that sharing the gospel with the deaf in the Petén is exactly what God has called me to do! With your prayers and support it won't be long until I can do exactly that!

No comments:

Post a Comment