"But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand." Romans 15:21

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Guatemalan Birthday!

No girl could have asked for a better birthday!! I woke up to text messages from two of my best friends!! Made me feel loved!! Thanks girls! Then got to spend some time watching the sun come through our window while waiting for Brit to wake up! So I was turning 20 and couldn’t help but think about all that God had done in those 20 years, but even more I can’t wait to see what He is going to do in the 20 years to come!! Philippians 1:6 says, “Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:”, and I am going to claim that promise!!

Jim and Shelley unfortunately lost power the night before and didn’t get it back until close to noon! Apparently some kids were flying kites and they got stuck in the power lines! Where were their parents?!?! Brit and I hung out at the hotel that morning! We finally went over to the zoo that was next door! We saw warthogs, an alligator, three male lions, a crazy monkey, a tapier with a nasty long tongue, and two deer! We did not go to see the demented llama, because of past experiences! Last year Sam and I ventured over there and the llama chased us down, had us cornered, and then spit all over me twice! So not cool! It was probably the worst animal experience ever!

Jim came and picked us up for lunch, and we enjoyed once again Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches!! They surprised me with an authentic Guatemalan Birthday cake! It had strawberries on it! My fav!! We were all excited about it; until we took a bite…it had the most unusual soggy taste…needless to say we all but Jimmy took a few bites before disposing of it! At least I can say I have had Guatemalan cake!!
We spent the rest of the afternoon in Santa Rita!! Brittany and I went for one last ride around the village announcing that the Kid’s Bible study was just about to start! It was the girls’ week so they all piled on! Shelley taught on how Jesus wants to spend time with the children! We split up into two teams... “ The Disciples” and “Jesus”. The Disciples would say, “No, no, no,” while the Jesus team would say, “vegan, vegan.” The kids were kinda hesitant at first in saying their part, but after a while they jumped right in and got excited! We split into four teams to play the game! It was so funny to watch them slide in the mud to get to the other end, but it was hilarious to watch Jimmy play while Quincho kept backing up farther and farther! After the game the kids sang Happy Birthday to me; it was so sweet! I think craft time with my table of boys was my favorite part of the day! Even though they would make fun of me, and I would try to speak to them in horrible Spanish, we had loads of fun!

Aaron came early to spend some time with Jimmy asking him questions about the book he was reading. He found a leaf and played a song for Brittany and me by blowing on it! It was even prettier than the man who serenaded us at dinner the night before! Before his Bible study, Jimmy went to Maricus’ house to see what Gloria thought about our girls’ day/purity talk. He told Jimmy that as soon as Gloria got home, the whole family sat down while she went through her box. She read each verse to them and explained what they meant! He told Jimmy that day and Shelley’s lesson was really good for his daughter! How encouraging is that!!

Jimmy also talked with someone about Juarjo. She told him that when Juarjo was little, he fell out of a tree and bumped his head. Since that day he has been “crazy.” Our guess is that he might have some brain damage or even fluid buildup on the brain! He really has come out of his shell though, and I hope he will continue to come to the Bible study here on out! I spent the rest of the evening in the back room with the ninos and ninas! Jimmy had three first time guests at his Bible study! This Saturday they are all going to the caves as a reward for doing their Bible study homework and bringing their Bible every week! It was sad leaving Santa Rita, but I am looking forward to coming back and seeing how everyone has grown!

For dinner Shelley made fried fish, oven baked fries, zucchini, and cheese biscuits! A delicious dinner!! We had a great last night with Jim and Shelley! They are awesome friends and even better mentors! I can’t wait to see what more God is going to do through them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment