"But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand." Romans 15:21

Friday, July 17, 2009

A Long Journey Home!

So Tuesday morning Brit and I woke up very early even before the sun came out! We finished our packing and just hung out waiting for Jimmy to come and pick us up! We even watched Sleepless in Seattle in Espanol! Just as good! Jimmy kind of slept in past his alarm, so we were racing to the airport to make our flight at 8:05 am! We made it to the airport at 7:35 and got right in without any problems!! Brit and I were on our way home!! It was bittersweet leaving! We landed in Guatemala City and got to our connecting flight without a problem! Our plane was delayed a bit, but we were soon on our way to Miami!

I got to sit by this amazing lady on the plane. Her name was Ana, and she was on her way back home from Guatemala as well! Her brother-in-law had been shot and murdered in Guatemala City, and she was there with her kids for the funeral. Her in-laws asked if the grand children could stay with them for a few weeks! It was really hard for her to leave her kids behind in a city where there is so much crime and violence. I was able to share with her the purpose of our trip to Guatemala and the book I was reading, “If You Want to Walk on Water You Have to Get Out of the Boat.” She was absolutely amazed, and shared that God had brought the story of Jesus Walking on the Water several times in the last few months! She had actually read that passage of scripture that morning. We spent a long time discussing what God had been teaching us and how that scripture was challenging and encouraging us! A total God thing!

The chapter I read for the duration of the flight was entitled, “Seeing the Wind.” The author pointed out that “Matthew apparently wants us to understand that even for someone who has walked in faith for a while, storms can be a disruptive business.” Walking on water is an amazing feeling, but then reality sets in, and we see the wind. We face obstacles! Our plans seem to be falling apart and people we are counting on let us down. But the truth is that “your heart and character is forged when life does not turn out the way you planned...it is in the act of facing the storm that you discover what lies inside of you and decide what lies before you.” Through it all, the Lord is with us! Brittany and I could have never imagined the storm we were going to face when we landed in Miami!

We landed in Miami and were picked up by the car agency. I couldn’t wait to get on the road to Jacksonville. After waiting several minutes up front for them to bring my car around, the gentleman came back with the news that my car wouldn’t start. Yeah, I was like okay?? What do you mean it won’t start?? They asked if there was a secret way of getting it to start :-) Both Brit and I called our dads asking for some advice! They gave us lots of stuff to try but nothing worked. The employees who all thought they were mechanics kept telling me different stuff that they thought would be wrong, but if you knew even a little bit about cars you would know that wouldn’t have been it. They kept asking me if they could jump it, but I kept saying no because I knew it wasn’t my battery. I didn’t understand why they were being so persistent! After calling many friends and family that lived in a 4 hour radius, we finally got a hold of Brittany’s uncle who lived in Miami! He came right away cause apparently we were in a very bad part of town! He looked at my car too and had no luck! The car agency agreed to let me keep my car there overnight until I could get it towed to Jacksonville the next day!

So here we were, two girls pretty much stranded in Miami, but God was definitely taking care of us!! Brittany’s uncle was so nice and put us up in a nice hotel! We were starving, a so first thing first was ordering some dinner! We spent some time at the pool and got an Iced Mocha before returning to our room! All during that we had been calling back and forth to our families trying to figure out how we were going to get home! My dad and Brit’s boyfriend, Lemuel, decided to drive all night from Jacksonville to Miami with the intention of renting a dolly from Uhaul to tow my car back. So we had a plan, and we couldn’t wait to see the guys in our life the next day! As hard as we tried to fall asleep, our bodies were still on Guatemalan time and we were just a tad bit anxious for the next day to go smoothly! We spent several hours sharing what God had taught us while we were in Guatemala and what we wanted to see God do in our lives! 3 o clock a.m. came and we finally fell asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment